A great way to eat strawberries is with a salad of field greens. I love the Nordstrom Cafe Mixed Berry Salad. It’s a delicious field green salad with fresh strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. I make a version of this salad at home. It has become a staple at our house — all year round. And, I often serve it for dinner parties and luncheons because it is a colorful, interesting-looking salad.
I’ve provided my “quick recipe” below, followed by a “made from scratch” version. There are many easy ways to adapt this salad to your taste. If you like fresh berries, give it a try!
Quick Strawberry Field Greens Salad
3 grilled boneless Chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips (I use my Chicken Fajita recipe: Blog Post May 4, 2010 or I buy Trader Joe’s Grilled Chicken Strips)
6 cups mixed Greens (Romain or Spring Mix)
3/4 lb. Strawberries, sliced (you can add blackberries and raspberries)
3/4 cup Goat Cheese, crumbled (Feta, Gorganzola and Blue are also good substitutes)
1/3 cup toasted Pecans, chopped (Trader Joe’s Candied Pecans are also great)
1/2 cup Brianna’s Blush Wine Vinagrette dressing
1/4 cup good Balsamic Vinegar
1. Prepare your favorite grilled chicken recipe. Let chicken cool and slice into strips.
2. Add mixed greens to a large serving bowl. Add chicken, strawberries, cheese and pecans.
3. Mix the Blush Wine Vinagrette dressing with balsamic vinegar in a measuring cup. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss. Serve immediately.
NOTES: My girlfriend Cheryl told me about mixing Brianna’s with balsamic. She mixes the dressing with vinegar in the Brianna’s bottle and stores it in the refrigerator. Then it’s ready for the single-serving or family salads.
When I make the salad for a dinner party, I toss the lettuce only with dressing. I plate the lettuce on individual salad plates and top with chicken, berries, cheese and nuts. This makes for a prettier presentation of salad (and you ensure everyone gets an even amount of “goodies”).
When you have a bit more time, the Beach Club Salad from the Simply Classic Junior League of Seattle cookbook is wonderful.
Beach Club Salad
4 boneless Chicken Breast halves
4 cups Spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
1 head Romaine Lettuce, washed and dried
3/4 lb. Strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup Blue Cheese, crumbled
3 Tbs. Slivered Almonds, toasted
1/2 cup Raspberry Vinegar
1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
1 medium Clove Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Salt
Freshly ground Pepper, to taste
3/4 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
Marinating time is at least 4 hours (or overnight). Prepare grill.
1. Place chicken in a single layer in a non-reactive bowl.
2. For Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in oil, whisking until emulsified. Set aside 3/4 cup dressing, pour remainder over chicken breasts. Cover and chill chicken for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Cook chicken over medium-hot coals until cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Slice across the grain into thin strips and set aside.
4. At serving time, tear spinach and lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in large serving bowl. Add chicken, strawberries, blue cheese and almonds. Drizzle with reserved dressing. Sprinkle with additional freshly ground pepper, if desired. Toss and serve immediately.