We celebrated my husband’s birthday on Saturday. We’ve had so many birthday dinners and celebrations over the past month, that when I asked Jeff what he wanted to do for his birthday, he answered “something different, like wine tasting.”
We went to WineWorks (a local wine store & bistro) on Oso Parkway & the 5 Freeway with Jeff’s parents and his brother and sister-in-law. WineWorks has a great selection of wines — many from boutique wineries. They feature their wines in “light, medium and full-bodied” categories, so it makes it easier to select wines. They serve wine flights, 3 oz. tastings, 6 oz. glasses and wine by the bottle.
They get some great boutique wines and have pretty decent prices. The servers and owners are very knowledgeable — and can make great recommendations on wines and food pairings. On Saturday, Denny was our server. We mentioned several wines that we really like and he made some great alternative recommendations:
- Jocelyn Lonen Chardonnay – Carneros 2007
- Olson Ogden Pinot Noir – Sonoma Coast 2007
- Jeff Runquist Petite Syrah – Enver Salman Vineyard 2006
- Fontanella Cab – Mount Veder, Napa Valley 2007
WineWorks has a full menu with appetizers and entrees. We ordered a number of appetizers, based on what we’ve liked from past visits and recommendations from our server Denny. The food is quite good!
Our favorite appetizers are:
- Brie Fondue served with bread & pear slices
- Lamb Meatball Sliders with spinach and sun dried tomatoes
- Pulled Pork Crepes with a peach poblano sauce
- Filet Mignon Sliders
- Seared Ahi (served as an appetizer) with Wasabi cream and a honey balsamic sauce
WineWorks is a great place to go with friends. It’s a great atmosphere with live music on the weekends. It’s best to make reservations if you’ve got more than 2 people. And, they have a nice happy hour called HappyWines from 4 pm to 6 pm.
We finished off Jeff’s birthday by having a dessert tasting at his parents. Jeff’s mom had decorated the table with brightly colored napkins and ribbons — making for a festive end to the evening with dessert and coffees.
Happy Birthday Jeff!