For Father’s Day, we made grilled halibut with a delicious salsa. The recipe is from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, Simply Classic. It’s a Junior League cookbook from Seattle … and honestly, every recipe I’ve tried has been fabulous!
We grill halibut and salmon often. This recipe is so easy and healthy. And the salsa adds great flavor to a fairly mild fish. Both types of fish are also great with a Pineapple Salsa or Mango Salsa.
When I’m in a time crunch, there are several things I do:
- I cut the marinade time down to 20 minutes (but it is much better for several hours).
- I buy the chunky tomato salsa or mango salsa from Trader Joes. If I have a ripe avocado and green onions on hand, I’ll add those to the store bought salsas.
Grilled Halibut with Tomato-Avocado Salsa
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Tbs. Lime Juice
1/4 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
2 lbs. Halibut
1 1/2 cups fresh Tomato, diced
1 Avocado, cubed
1/4 cup Green Onions, thinly sliced
3 Tbs. canned Green Chiles, diced
2 Tbs. White Wine Vinegar
3 Tbs. Cilantro Leaves, minced
1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1. Whisk together Olive Oil, Lime Juice and Tobasco in a small bowl. Place halibut in a non-reactive pan large enough to hold them in one layer. Pour marinade over fish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
2. Salsa Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir well. cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
3. Preheat grill and prepare with cooking spray (or use a tong holding a paper towel wad coated with vegetable oil). Place fish on grill with medium heat. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of fish. Fish should flake easily with a fork.
4. Serve immediately with salsa of choice.
Pineapple Salsa (alternative option)
2 cups Pineapple, diced
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
1/4 cup Red Onion, diced
1/2 Jalapeno Chile, diced
2 Tbs. Cilantro Leaves, minced
1 Tbs. Lime Juice
1 Tbs. Green Onion, thinly sliced
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir well. cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.