Grilled flank steak has become a staple with our kids. They both love it and like taking “left overs” in their school lunches. Flank steak tends to have less fat than other cuts of beef, but it also tends to be tougher. If you marinate flank steak, it takes on great flavor and becomes much more tender.
When we first started making flank steak, we tried many marinades. We found this one several years ago and have stuck with it. It’s very easy! You can buy everything you need for this recipe at Trader Joe’s. You just need to remember to start marinating the steak early in the day.
We serve flank steak with potatoes. We use it in soft tacos, burritos and quesadillas. And, we use it on top of salads and in sandwiches.
Grilled Asian Flank Steak
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Canola Oil
3 Tbs. Toasted Sesame Oil
4 Tbs. Ginger, peeled and minced
5 cloves Garlic, minced
4 Green Onions, thinly sliced
1 gallon ziplock bag
2 to 3 lb. Flank Steak
Cooking Oil for the Grill
1. Mix the first seven ingredients together, whisking with a fork or wire whisk. (I usually use a 2-cup measuring cup as my “mixing bowl”, which saves me from “dirtying” other measuring cups for the first 3 ingredients.) Place flank steak in ziplock bag. Pour marinade into the bag and seal, pressing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning bag at least once.
2. Prepare a hot grill. Brush grill with oil (or use paper towels coated with canola oil) to prepare grill.
3. Remove steak from marinade and place on grill. Grill steak 6 to 10 minutes, turning once. Flank Steak is best cooked medium rare to medium (between 130 and 140 degrees with an instant read thermometer).
4. Transfer steak to platter and cover loosely with foil. Allow meat to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain and serve.
- I buy fresh ginger at Trader Joe’s and freeze it. Frozen ginger is much easier to mince than fresh. I use a microplane to grate/mince the ginger. Since the ginger is going in a marinade, I don’t even peel the ginger.
- When I don’t feel like mincing garlic, I use 2 teaspoons of Trader Joe’s Minced Garlic (in a jar).
- I often buy my Flank Steak at Costco. You get 2 steaks to a pack. I usually marinate both (often in 1 ziplock bag) and we grill both. Great for left overs.