We just returned from a week long vacation in Durango, Colorado. If you’ve never been, it’s a must on the vacation destination list! It’s one of my most favorite places to vacation in the U.S.
Durango is located in the Southwest corner of Colorado. It averages over 300 sunny days a year. And, the scenery is breathtaking … red rock mountains, covered with pine and aspen trees; rivers and waterfalls, green meadows; snow capped mountains and a charming, historic downtown.
In winter, the Purgatory ski resort is one of the best places to ski (now called DMR – Durango Mountain Resort). There are never lines for the lifts and the variety of terrain makes it great for intermediate to advanced skiers and boarders.
But in summer, Durango is the best outdoor playground for those that enjoy an active lifestyle. You can …
- Hike, road bike, mountain bike
- Swim in the hotsprings, rivers and lakes
- Go jeeping in Durango, Silverton, Ouray (my fav), and Telluride
- Horseback ride, River raft (class 2 to 5 rapids), Kayak, and Tube down the rivers
- Zip line (this is relatively new) and alpine slide
- For the very adventurous — cliff (and bridge) jump into the rivers
Stay tuned for the pictures of our “Durango Mountain Home” and the “Best of Durango” …