I hadn’t made chicken enchiladas in quite some time. I have a great recipe from my sister — that we have modified over the years. It’s an easy recipe and quite delicious!
Chicken & Green Chile Enchiladas
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup Flour
1 can Chicken Broth (14.5 oz.)
1 cup Sour Cream, room temperature
1 can Chopped Green Chiles (4.5 oz.)
1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced – optional
Salt & Pepper to taste
12 Four Tortillas (small to medium size)
4 cups Cooked Chicken, shredded
4 cups grated Monterey Jack & Cheddar Cheese
1 bunch of Green Onions, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13 x 9 casserole dish with Pam.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Add chopped onion and saute in melted butter for 2 – 4 minutes. Add flour and stir until smooth, cooking for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Stir in sour cream, green chiles, jalapeno (optional), salt and pepper.
3. Pour half of the sauce in the prepared pan.
4. Combine shredded chicken, 2 cups of cheese and 1/2 cup of green onions in a large bowl. Place 1/3 cup of chicken mixture on each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in casserole pan.
5. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onions.
6. Bake uncovered for 25 – 30 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.