One of my favorite breakfast or brunch egg dishes is this Green Chile Egg Souffle. I often serve this for Christmas or New Year’s Day brunch with baked french toast and fresh fruit. Yum!
This recipe is very easy! And, you can buy all of the ingredients at Trader Joe’s. I have modified the recipe to include TJ’s Chicken Sicilian Sausage. Sometimes, I only make half with sausage (and use just 1/2 pound of sausage). I usually use TJ’s Shredded 3 Cheese Blend (Mozarella, Cheddar & Jack) instead of buying Jack & Cheddar separately. And since my family doesn’t like olives, I always leave them out.
My other name for this dish is “Church Egg Casserole”. I say it lovingly, as you will always see some version of this egg dish at biblestudy breakfasts, brunches or other womens’ church events.
Green Chile Egg Souffle
10 Eggs, well beaten
1 lb. Sausage, cooked and crumbled (optional)
7 oz. Green Chiles, chopped
1 cup Cottage Cheese
1 lb. Jack Cheese, grated
1/2 lb. Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 stick of Melted Butter
1/2 cup Flour
10 drops Tabasco
1 small can of Olives, chopped (optional)
Optional Garnish: Sliced Avocado, Salsa and Sour Cream
1. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook sausage in a skillet, crumbling or chopping the sausage into small bite-sized pieces until lightly browned. (If you use TJ’s Sicilian or Spicy Sausage, remove sausage from the casings before cooking). Spoon the cooked sausage (using a slotted spoon to drain grease) into the prepared 9 x 13 pan, spreading sausage evenly on the bottom of the pan.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour the egg mixture into the 9 x 13 inch pan.
4. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 to 40 more minutes. Egg dish should be lightly browned on top.
5. Let egg dish cool for about 5 minutes. Slice into squares and serve with desired garnish.