If you’re looking for a light lemony dessert for those hot days of summer, this is perfect! It’s lowfat, easy to make and you can even make it ahead of time.
It combines light, airy lemon flavors with crispy coconut. I usually make it a day ahead of serving.
Frosty Lemon Cooler
1 cup crushed Coconut Cookies (I use Trader Joe’s Coconut
2 Tbs. Butter, melted
2 Egg yolks
1 tsp. grated Lemon Peel
1/3 cup Lemon Juice
2/3 cup Sugar
Dash of Salt
2 Egg Whites
2/3 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
2/3 cup water
1. Crush coconut cookies and combine with melted butter. (I use 18 of TJ’s Coconut cookies, which results in a bit more than 1 cup. I put the cookies in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.) Reserve 1/4 cup of the crumbs and spread the remainder in a 9×9 pan.
2. Stir together egg yolks, lemon peel and juice. Add sugar and salt, mixing well.
3. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, milk powder and water. Beat on high speed with an electric mixer to stiff peaks (about 5 minutes).
4. Add egg yolk mixture to egg whites and beat low just until blended. I often fold in the lemon egg yolks to mix well.
5. Pour over crumbs in pan. Top with remaining crumbs. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and freeze.
6. When serving, dip the bottom of pan in warm water for 10 seconds. (I usually use a rimmed cookie sheet and fill it with hot water.) This makes it much easier to cut the dessert. Cut into 9 squares.